Tuesday 16 July 2013

TRAFFIC ENFORCERS OR LEGITIMATE NUISANCES

There has been a very disturbing trend in state governance in recent times, especially in states who have adopted the pattern of aggressive revenue generation. Aggressive revenue generation in itself is not a bad thing; especially when it translates into infrastructural development.
However, what smears the whole process is the use of unbridled and unhinged touts to achieve the goal of aggressive taxation. The practice began with the Babatunde Raji Fashola administration. A stranger who drives into Lagos for the first is very likely to get snagged by one of the numerous touts wearing uniforms. From Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) to Anti-One Way, Zero Tolerance, Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI) and all other sorts of traffic enforcers, it is incontestable that some level of sanity has returned on our roads. The fear of hefty fines or car impounds has proved to be a deterrent to many erstwhile reckless motorists. However, tales abound of how these road traffic enforcers have converted their the legitimate offices into tools of extortion and in some cases, they have become probable causes of accidents on our roads. I have heard several stories of how the activities of certain over-zealous officials, LASTMA especially have been the cause of some very bad accidents which claimed lives. In Benin, following the foot steps of the ACN class captain, the comrade governor Adams Oshiomole introduced something similar; Edo State Traffic Management Authority (EDSTMA) they are called. There's no doubt that some sanity has returned to the roads too but my particular concern is the those who constitute these road traffic authorities. I was moved to write this at the behest of a doctor friend who experienced first hand, the extortionist ring these uniformed touts have become in Benin and everywhere they have sprang up so far. Here's his story: "I was driving around King's Square, very close to the House of Assembly last friday at about 4pm when a uniformed man jumped into my car and said, "Bros, drop something." "For what?" I asked, still shocked from the intrusion into my private space. I thought I was being robbed. The uniform he wore calmed me down sort of. "I am taking you to the office for forming double lane." He said. "How?" I asked, bamboozled. There was a terrible hold-up in progress as is often the case by this time of the day at Kings Square. I was firmly locked in between two cars on the right lane. My insistence generated an argument which attracted several of his colleagues. We both got out of the car and passersby and other motorists saw the situation and told these men I had done no wrong but all to no avail. My car key was seized and I was taken to their office and given a ticket which read "Illegal Parking" with an absurd fine of N23000!

I made some calls and met some UNIBEN old boys who worked at the office of the Ministry of Works where I was taken to. They intervened and the "ransom" was reduced to N8000. I couldn't believe that I was going to have to pay that ridiculous sum over trumped up accusations! Well, I did and got into my car and drove off straight to James Watt Road to buy tyres only to discover I had been robbed of my jack!

Once extorted and robbed, you kind of have the antidote or you become immune because you discover you know some people in the office to call next time. However, it is wrong and should stop so I want us to work together to put this menace under control. Thank you." I am very sure that after reading about his ordeal at the hand of these uniformed rogues, many of you have had similar experiences or even worse. It is sad that with Nigeria, there's always a loophole to exploit any installed measure to instill sanity in all works of life. Suggestions are welcome on how to curb the illegal activities of these uniformed nuisances. Malcolm O. Ifi.












6 comments:

  1. Its disheartening that the so called traffic law enforcer are hell bent on linning their individual pockets at the detriment of Nigerian especially the road users. I was almost killed due to recklessness of a LASTMA\Police early this year. Good will save us from these uniformed rogues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its disheartening that the so called traffic law enforcer are hell bent on linning their individual pockets at the detriment of Nigerian especially the road users. I was almost killed due to recklessness of a LASTMA\Police early this year. Good will save us from these uniformed rogues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a serious problem my brother. The fact that most of these persons who compose the traffic law officers are touts is worrisome. Imagine giving an armed robber a uniform.Its the ultimate recipe for chaos.

      Delete
  3. Hmmmmmm.....tell me 'bout it!!!!......Me driving to d airport by 5am one morning to report for a flight n jst under d Iyana-Isolo bridge in lag some guy in LASTMA uniform with a torchlight jumps infront of d car I was driving...He asks me to step outta d car n open d trunk of d car......hmmmmm....Me thinks 'Mehn!.@ 5am with no human in sight n under dis bridge u want me to step outta dis car?....uniform or not,uv got anoda thing coming!'....anyways, jst as I gestured to open d door and d officer stepped back, I zoomed away!....#catchmeifyoucan#....I reckon sending videos of incidents to well-meaning men/women in authority can help sort out d very hungry officers in uniform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahahahahahah! This literally had me rolling on the floor. Smart move! I guess that would help massively especially as we now have the power of the social media.

      Delete
    2. Lolz......very true. D power of d social media!....luvly write-up again......as alwayz

      Delete