Monday 4 February 2013

TIME CAPSULE



When you enter a banking hall in Nigeria, there are certain things you expect to see; especially if you frequent the banking halls of new generation banks. It is a fact that majority of banks in Nigeria invest a lot in the general aesthetics of the banking environment. It helps to create a friendly and professional atmosphere that is inviting to potential and existing customers. Even the dress code of the bank staff is usually admirable. 

So it was a mild shock - mild shock because the few times I've transacted business in this particular bank, I've never really been impressed with the general aesthetics and service. It was a shock nonetheless because I was in the Central Business District in the FCT. I had expected to see at least a change from what I was used to seeing in other branches nationwide. Unfortunately, it appears that the management of this particular bank has does not give a hoot about aesthetics.

On entering the bank, we were met by the security guard who used a hand metal detector to check me for any unwanted metal content. In other banks, the doors do that. I didn't pay mind to that but when I got into the bank's shabby waiting area, I was amazed. The first thing I saw that struck me as abysmally out of place was the TV - yes, you guessed right. It wasn't a plasma, neither was it a flat screen tv. It was the regular coloured box television. I was amazed but I didn't complain because at least, the really old school standing split units were functioning properly.
The next thing that struck me as odd was the dress code of the staffs. Though it was casual friday, I was still totally unimpressed. These people had no idea of what dressing well is about - both male and female. If there's one thing we know about bankers, its that they dress really well. These set of people got it totally wrong. Ill-fitting natives, dresses and even those who wore jeans were totally off point. I sighed and prayed our business here would be over soon.

Sadly, that was not to be. The server was down so I had to stay there for almost an hour. I didn't blame them - this happens frequently in most Nigerian banks but when one of the staffs decided to restart their computer system, I heard the most unbelievable sound. The shut-down sound of Windows XP. It was like being forced into a time capsule and suddenly, it was year 2000 again. How can a bank still use Windows XP in 2013 when its not a business center?!

From what I've narrated thus far, I'm sure some of you can make a guess about what bank I'm talking about. I shall not name names for obvious reasons. Any way, finally we got our transaction done and it felt good to get back to 2013.

I just wonder if the management of that bank ever attend business seminars on how to brand or rebrand your place of business. They seem totally oblivious of the competition who pay attention to aesthetics and branding. Well, I guess that the fact that they are still in business is testimony to the fact that their complete lack of aesthetic sense is not a major concern as it does not affect their business.

One thing is sure though. If I can, I will do everything in my power to avoid ever transacting business there in the future.

Malcolm O. Ifi.






3 comments:

  1. Its sad,a shocking tale of neglect and a disdain for keeping up with industry standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL, WELL, IT SURE FEELS GOOD TO BE IN 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very much like Union Bank. Their banking service is so poor and their dress codes so banal that you wonder if you time-travelled to 2001.

    ReplyDelete