Thursday 27 December 2012

WE ARE UNIVERSALLY AFFILIATED: UDSS SET-2000 CLASS REUNION


26th December, 2012.
11:34am


I received a bbm from Toju telling me that we had a reunion later that day. I hadn't heard anything about it so I was like "Really?! Where?!!". He didn't know the venue so he suggested I form a bbm chat group consisting of ex-UDSS students of set 2000. I was driving my mom around so I told him I would do that later, as I was busy. Apparently, he wasn't satisfied with that so he contacted Uche and before I knew what was happening, I received an invite to join a group tagged "UDSS 2000".

I've lost you, haven't I? UDSS stands for Uniben Demonstration Secondary School. It is located in the south-west end of the University of Benin Main Campus inside at Ugbowo. Can you see the light now? Of course you can. I know you've heard of us. The very acronym elicits envy. UDSS was and still is one of the best schools in the whole of Edo State and arguably, Nigeria. In us was instilled a bond so strong that we never fail to identify with each other wherever, whenever. I'm proud, extremely proud to be associated with that school. 
Aha! Lest I deviate. Fast forward the clock to 1:32pm. The membership of the group had already grown to 32 and excited conversations were already in full swing. By this time, everybody knew there was going to be an informal reunion but we didn't know where until Onome Ugolo named the venue; Metro, off Ugbor Road. Time was tagged for 4pm to ensure those who couldn't stay till late had ample time to catch up.


From then on, it was a scramble to keep to the time. I said bye to my mom and boarded the nearest bike. On the way, I ran into Odaro and Louis. Ekene was the first to get to the venue, having kept strictly to time. Very ungentlemanly of us to have kept her waiting, especially as she was the only lady who showed up, making her the "special one" in our midst. Well, we made it eventually. George and Rumsy joined us shortly. Men! Haven't seen George in seven years, Rumsy in almost eleven. As shouts of excited disbelief and hugs of comradeship passed on, more guys showed up. Isaac, Innocent, Akpobor, Teddy, Osaro, Duno, Jay Jay, Osayande, Emekus, Ambrose, Uchey (the convener), Donatus, Oduwa, Erhumwunse, Onome showed up and from then on, we were cast back to the past.

We had good laughs at some of the antics of our favorite teachers whom we perceived as enemies back then, the mischief and pranks of some of us played on each other and other fun experiences. It was a beautiful walk down memory lane. Our final member showed up much later in the evening, around 6pm having been on call all day and that day being his birthday. Ehidiamen made it against all odds.

The beauty of this year's reunion was that it started as a game and was initially clouded with uncertainty but at the end, the turn out was impressive despite the very very very short notice. Since we all left UDSS in 2000, we've scattered like dust all over Nigeria and the world so it was a great thing of joy for everyone to somehow find out we were all Benin yesterday and make frantic efforts to hook up and it was a great success.


Special shout to our members who couldn't make it for one reason or the other; and to those who have kept the fire of friendship and association burning, more grease to your elbows! Hearty congratulations to Yvonne who tied the knot yesterday, and to our mates who got married in the year 2012, especially Osagie and Carrie who are both members of Set 2000! And to the members of the crew who became moms and dads, we felicitate with y'all!

I have to agree with Uche that indeed, "WE ARE UNIVERSALLY AFFILIATED". 


NB: If I failed to include your name or a snap shot of you, I offer my most sincere apologies. It was unintentional as I only could make use of what i had.

One love!


Malcolm O. Ifi.

To learn more about University of Benin Demonstration Secondary School visit:
www.udosa.org
http://www.edofolks.com/udss/

No comments:

Post a Comment